How are you?
Recently we got many problem regarding to update new version theme problem.
Our theme using 2 plugins together called themestudio-content and themestudio-shortcodes-v1.x for post type and shortcode so one you update the theme you need to update those plugins also.
Also in the theme we attached other required plugins such as Revolution Slider, Visual Composer.. those plugins can be updated via theme also.
There are some steps guide for you in order to install update theme and plugins easy and in the right way.
0. Backup your whole website or at least your custom work FIRST
This step make sure you keep the files, content that you have edit before, just in case the next steps fail.
If you are not comfortable with manual backup, you can use plugins instead and below is a list of WordPress backup plugins you should try.
– Free plugins:
– Paid Plugin:
1. Test the theme.
It’s crucial to check the theme beforehand in a test site on your local. You can directly test the latest version of the theme, track the bugs and check if all plugins are working fine before applying to your live site.
1.1 Deactivate current theme version.
Just go to Dashboard >> Appearance >> Themes, active another theme, by this way you have just deactivate the current theme.
2. Delete the old version theme.
Simply click on the theme and delete it.
3. Deactivate and delete old plugins
Go to Dashboard >> Plugins check and deactivate the old plugins then delete them
4. Install new version theme as usual
Go go Dashboard >> Themes >> Add new
Do upload theme just like install a new theme.
Note: If you have purchased the theme, you can go to Themeforest and download it without any paid again.
5. Active update theme and install new version of required plugins:
Steps in brief:
1. Deactivate the theme you want to update, enabling another theme (e.g. Twenty Twelve) (theme can not be deleted if it is active).
2. Delete the theme.
3. Now you can go to install the updated version of the theme.
b) Rename your current theme folder via FTP
1. Using a FTP client like FileZilla, log in to your site via FTP.
2. Go to the folder → and rename your current theme folder (e.g. Alaska) to something else (e.g. Alaska-old), without adding any spaces in the folder name.
3. Now you can go back to WP Dashboard and install the updated version the theme.